Why buy a LIGHTWAVE an Owner’s Perspective…by Robyn Jefferies, FLASHDANCER, LIGHTWAVE POWERCAT 46’
Why buy POWER not SAIL?
There are a lot of yachties or prospective yachties who would be more suited to a power vessel than a yacht.
- Getting to your destination quicker and more refreshed, this is definitely an advantage for those souls who may have to get back to work or family.
- With a powerboat, you can get some degree of certainty with your scheduling… a big factor especially with partners & crew.
- More time in beautiful, interesting places and less time bumping around in the ocean!
- Those with age, health or inexperienced crew member concerns, the power boating offers big advantages.
Why buy a Power Cat instead of a Power Monohull?
What about fuel costs you may ask? Well power cats can reduce fuel usage by 50% and up to 70%. Not to mention all that lovely deck space and what about that rolly polly of a night. Powercats are just so much more stable and comfortable, the advantages are well documented, and they go on and on.
- 8 knots using 1 Litre per nm
- 15.5 knots using 2 Litre per nm
Why buy Lightwave over other boat building manufacturers?
Well now that you are sold on a power cat for your cruising…the next questions is what type do you want? It is not the same as choosing your car manufacturer, there is not quite the variety of choices with boats.
It is best to go with an established manufacturer with a proven record of accomplishment and one who uses a reputable designer with years of experience. The problems have been sorted, you get the back up of the manufacturer, and you are assured of a good resale value in the market place. Any future problems or pain is eliminated!
With Lightwave Yachts, you get all that plus a lot of personal attention. Lightwave owners are all still associated with the company long after the sale. Through regular correspondence, such as newsletters, updates, websites, and annual Lightwave regattas, it is more like you are joining a club than just buying a boat.
The Lightwave Power Cats have some extremely well designed concepts catering specifically for safety, economy, and ease of use. Although not apparent when looking over the boat, the engineering used places quality first. The Power cat has incorporated some practical and very well thought out design concepts. Its use of innovative engineering, smart design, and quality components will become more important over the years as you cruise and use your boat. This makes these boats about as reliable and easy to service as you are likely to get in the marketplace today.
We liked a lot of things, but here’s a few…
- Designed with a very low centre of gravity; this is achieved by width, height, and length ratios, and the use of proven ocean going yacht principles. These combined factors make these boats extremely seaworthy for ocean voyages and promote stability at anchor.
- Fuel economy – long, slim, semi displacement hulls with unique bow bulbs, light weight construction and super efficient motors gives great economy whilst delivering a top speed over 20 knots, and being very efficient cruising at 14 – 15 knots (3000rpm).
- The Long 46 ft waterline length and the bridge deck clearance of 0.95 metres is ideal for ocean cruising.
- The fuel-efficient engines in the Power cat are so well positioned that the usual loud noise associated with the diesel engines is eliminated allowing you to chat comfortably in the cockpit whilst underway.
- The engine rooms are huge! Easily accessible with plenty of additional room down there for water makers, scuba gear, generators, air conditioners and supplies.
- The stepped fly bridge instead of the traditional fly bridge is terrific. It provides a fantastic 360 degree view even in the rain and you are not isolated from the rest of the crew. This layout allows you to assist in docking. Remote controls for the throttles and Raymarine equipment means you can totally control and operate the boat from either inside or outside the boat on the deck or back steps.
- Low vessel height above waterline means not only do you have more stability, but can get under those bridges and into waterways that other cruising boaties can only wish for!
- The low 4.2 metre height, shallow 1.2-metre draft, good speed, fuel efficiency, ocean going capabilities, easy handling and comfortable living conditions promote an incredibly versatile cruising vessel that can maneuver up little rivers or travel around the world.
- Small ship feel for handling but big ship feel for stability and space.
- Good sized decks that allow you to move safely around the sides of the boat. It is so nice to walk around outside on deck with the cutaway curved front bow and cork floors on the cockpit & stairs. It is not just comfortable, but safe and promotes the beautiful sleek lines of the boat.
- Duckboard works well. It is easy to lift the dingy on and off with the crane and it adds another area to the boat for fishing & lazing around.
- The bait tank is brilliant. Provides plenty of space for bait & to throw in those freshly caught estuary fish. These factors enhance what a great fishing boat the Lightwave Power cat 46’ is!
- For the serious fisherman, the Lightwave 46’ cruises smoothly and at a very low cost when trawling for those big ones. The 7.4-metre beam allows for a selection of rod setup alternatives.
- Internally, the island bed is functional. This means no longer climbing over your partner in the middle of the night.
- Office works well with computer and printer set up. There is also plenty of room for books and office supplies.
- There is heaps of fridge freezer space to cater for long range cruising. The unit operates quietly thanks to the water-cooled compressor.
- For long cruises, this boats ideal with 7 separate areas for a bit of quiet solitary time; cabin, saloon, office, kitchen, cockpit, under the annex and on deck.
- The cockpit area under the annex gives the boat another dimension in living space. It works well as a sunroof, a fully enclosed room, or anything in between.
- The saloon table is versatile with the ability to lower down as well as moves in and out. This allows it to be a dining table, coffee table, or additional bed as you please.
- The everyday practicalities of a quiet boat at night with plenty of good ventilation have all been considered during the build process of this design.